EU Market Update - 15/09/21
Russia Raises Rates to Curb Inflation Ahead of Parliamentary Election
- Russia’s central bank raised interest rates for the fifth time in a row on Friday, key interest rate by 25 basis points to 6.75 per cent
- This indicates it might hike further to curb surging prices and food costs that are pushing up inflation in many emerging markets, addressing what has become a major issue ahead of parliamentary elections later this month that are marked by soaring food prices and slumping real incomes
- Overall a worrying outlook, as rising prices are becoming an increasing concern across many emerging markets
ECB to Slow Bond-Buying as Europe’s Economy Improves
- After a two-day meeting of its governing council, the ECB has decided to move to a moderately lower pace in its €1.85tn pandemic emergency purchase programme (PEPP) from the €80bn-a-month level it has run at since March
- This shows how the decision to slow the PEPP, the ECB’s flagship policy response to the pandemic, follows a strong rebound in eurozone growth and inflation, as rising coronavirus vaccinations have helped to end lockdowns and boosted business and household activity
- Overall, an improving outlook, as European Central Bank president Christine Lagarde reassured bond investors even as the ECB said it would buy fewer bonds in a sign of confidence in the eurozone’s economic recovery
Brussels to Issue ‘COVID Green Bonds’ as Part of Pandemic Recovery Effort
- Brussels is to issue its first Covid-19 green bond as part of its efforts to become the world’s biggest issuer of sustainable debt
- This shows how the European Commission plans to tap into debt markets for a sale of green bonds in October, raising funds for environmentally friendly reforms and investment in EU member states, as part of the union’s pandemic recovery effort
- Overall, a promising development, as the global green bonds market has boomed in recent months, with total issuance in the asset class topping $200bn this year
You’ve successfully subscribed to Finance Focused
Welcome back! You’ve successfully signed in.
Great! You’ve successfully signed up.
Your link has expired
Success! Check your email for magic link to sign-in.